St. Therese Lisieux and the Holy Family (h/t Cukierski Family Apostolate) Today is the Feast day of The Little Flower, St. Therese Lisieux. She is one of the most popular saints in the history of the Church and she is always portrayed with her bouquet of roses. Even though her life was short, she was 24 when she died, her deep simplicity is a most amazing witness to the love of Christ. In 1997 Pope John Paul II named her a Doctor of the Church. She is one of only three women given that title.
Here are some of my favorite quotes from St. Therese. There is so much inspiration and instruction in her simple words it is indescribable. The last is a prayer of St. Therese's that I found so beautiful I almost cried.
"In times of aridity when I am incapable of praying, of practicing virtue, I seek little opportunities, mere trifles, to give pleasure to Jesus; for instance a smile, a pleasant word when inclined to be silent and to show weariness. If I find no opportunities, I at least tell Him again and again that I love Him; that is not difficult and it keeps alive the fire in my heart. Even though this fire of love might seem extinct I would still throw little straws upon the embers and I am certain it would rekindle."
"Be not afraid to tell Jesus that you love Him; even though it be without feeling, this is the way to oblige Him to help you, and carry you like a little child too feeble to walk."
"Without love, deeds, even the most brilliant, count as nothing."
"For one pain endured with joy, we shall love the good God more forever."
"Why should we defend ourselves when we are misunderstood and misjudged? Let us leave that aside. Let us not say anything. It is so sweet to let others judge us in any way they like. O blessed silence, which gives so much peace to the soul!"
O Jesus, Who in Thy cruel Passion didst become the "Reproach of men and the Man of Sorrows," I worship Thy Divine Face. Once it shone with the beauty and sweetness of the Divinity: now for my sake it is become as the face of a leper. Yet in that disfigured Countenance I recognize Thy infinite Love, and I am consumed with the desire of loving Thee and of making Thee loved by all mankind. The tears that streamed in such abundance from Thy Eyes are to me as precious pearls which I delight to gather, that with their infinite worth I may ransom the souls of poor sinners.
O Jesus, Whose Face is the sole beauty that ravishes my heart, I may not behold here upon earth the sweetness of Thy Glance, nor feel the ineffable tenderness of Thy Kiss. I bow to Thy Will - but I pray Thee to imprint in me Thy Divine Likeness, and I implore Thee so to inflame me with Thy Love, that it may quickly consume me and I may soon reach the Vision of Thy glorious Face in Heaven. Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment