Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Prayer Vigil

Yesterday was the first day I prayed outside the abortion clinic. The clinic schedules their abortions on Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays, but had recently added Tuesday mornings as well. We didn't see anyone at all yesterday though. Still, it was a wonderful opportunity to gather with others and unite our prayers for the unborn. We said the Rosary and the Divine Mercy Chaplet, the prayer to St. Michael the Archangel... We sang Ave Maria and Salve Regina. It was very moving and inspiring to be there with a group and be a witness to our faith.

I'm ashamed to say that at first I was a little disappointed with the lack of activity, because, you know, your first time out you have visions of talking to women and saving babies right there on the spot. But, of course, that's not very often how it is. In the end I realized I really should be thankful because, although Tuesday mornings, by all accounts, had suddenly become a busy day, yesterday was completely quiet. Fewer abortions is always good news.

I met a very inspiring gentleman there named Ron. He was not with our group, he attends a Baptist church, but it turns out that he is a regular who has been standing out there almost every day for the last 6 years. All by himself. Rain or shine. He said that he had always been complacent about the issue of abortion. He told me he could not say that he would have classified himself pro-choice at one time, but more that he just didn't care one way or another. But when they opened the clinic locally, there in his neighborhood, he became upset. He asked people at his church why no one had fought it. Not one letter written, not one call made. But then he realized he hadn't done anything either and decided he would. For the first two years he went out only twice a week. He often faced the scornful stares of staffers but no one had ever said anything to him until one day, a woman came out and said, "Don't you have anything better to do?" He told me that he went home and thought about it and decided no, he really didn't. So he started coming five days a week, sometimes more. He is retired military so he has the time and really can not think of a better way to use it. I thought that was an incredible witness. He said sometimes he has a fellow from his church who joins him, maybe once a month or so, and he has seen the Catholic groups here and there, of course most especially during the 40 Days, but generally he is out there alone, day after day. So please keep Ron in your prayers.

You know, we got a few glares, but we also got a few thumbs ups, and one woman even pulled over to thank every one. I realized, even if you don't have the time to go out and pray yourself, if you know where your local clinic is, just drive by and thank the folks who are out there. The encouragement means so much to them. Ron told me a story where, early on, he had sat out there day after day and no one would stop or smile or anything. He said even ministers and priests would drive by and not glance his way. One day, as he stood there, he started asking God, why did so little people care? Where was the encouragement? Was he making a difference? Did any of it matter? And then, within five minutes of that little heart-to-heart a man pulled up, and thanked him. He said he has pretty regularly had people stop and thank him since then. As he said, God's got his back. So, if you can, just even stopping to offer encouragement would mean a lot to the people out there trying to reach out to women making the most difficult and tragic decision of their life.

So keep holding in prayer all of those folks who are standing out there. And pray for the moms, the abortion doctors, the clinic staff, and, of course, the babies. I will be back there next week and will keep writing about my experiences.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so glad you are doing this! And happier still that no babies died there yesterday morning! God Bless you!

Mandy said...

Thank YOU for doing it, too! I will keep all of you in my prayers.

My parish has something like this at our clinic all year. I have often thought of joining them. Can I ask what you do with your children? Are they all school aged? The only thing stopping me is childcare.

Sarah - Kala said...

Awesome! Keep it up!

Jackie Parkes MJ said...

We have often prayed outside the abortuary near to us. I have engaged in conversation with some young girls & I think babies have been saved over the years..well done for going.

Anonymous said...

I applaud you and Ron too! And will pray for all partipants safety.

Hugs, heather