Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Prayer Vigil - Part 2

Today was my second day out praying in front of the abortion clinic. I wasn't able to go last week because my kids were off of school and I didn't think I could bring them. Our group has to stay only on our little strip of sidewalk - if anyone wanders into the grass, or sets a sign there, the clinic staff complains of trespassing. I honestly could not guarantee that my 4 young children would stay off the grass for a whole hour. I could pretty much guarantee that they wouldn't.

So today was my first opportunity to get back. I told you in my last post about it that the clinic had recently begun to do abortions on Tuesdays. Today I was pretty sure I saw at least two girls arriving for their abortions. It's hard to say for sure, because we have to stay on the public sidewalk which runs along the back of the building, and we can't go around to the front because that is a private parking lot. Many cars drive in and out because there are other offices in that building, but you can usually tell who is there to get an abortion. They come in twos, because you need to be driven home after the procedure, and they usually look pretty grim pulling in. We weren't able to make eye contact with anyone or hand out any literature, but we were there offering help and praying, which is all we can do. A woman who was with us, who has been there quite a bit during the 40 days, said that they have a had a few "turn arounds," where they drive in and then turn around and drive back out again. That is great news!

Another aspect though for me, is that I have never had an opportunity to pray openly and out loud in a public space before, proudly witnessing to my faith. It's such a wonderful thing to stand there on the sidewalk praying the Rosary with others. I'll definitely be back there next week. Keep praying!!

4 comments:

Mandy said...

Thank you, Cassie. You guys are still in my prayers.

Unknown said...

Still praying!

Kathleen Miller said...

Cassie,

This a very "hands on" pro-life thing to do. Great job! Especially as you are pregnant and due next month, it must be quite a witness to other seeing you there.

God BLess!

Sarah - Kala said...

Thank you for doing this. Taking a stand for life in the actual line of fire is something else. You're in my prayers!