Friday, October 17, 2008

Embarassing Moment of the Week

Many of you enjoyed the story of my lost keys on Halloween , but you have no idea how many stories I actually have about lost keys. They aren't all funny or embarrassing, but there was the time I lost the keys and called the school to say my kids wouldn't be in that day. Instead, much to my surprise, they sent over someone from the office to pick my children up and bring them to school for me! That doesn't make you feel real low class or anything, when the office lady shows up at your front door to give your kids a lift because you're such an awful parent you've lost your car keys. For over a week I drove around with the spare key from my husband's key chain, and every time I pulled up to drop my kids off at school the teachers who help kids in and out of cars would ask if I'd found them yet. Yes, everyone knew that I was low class enough to have to have an office lady provide door to door service for my children.

I've also become famous for locking myself out of the house. My neighbors keep a key of ours in their house just in case, but only a week ago I locked myself out and haven't returned it yet. I better do that before I inadvertently lock that key in my house.

So, it really shouldn't be a surprise when something like what happened to me today actually happens:

I locked the baby in the car with the car keys. Yes, that's right. Baby in car. Keys in car. Doors locked. Luckily, it's not hot out like it was here yesterday, but still, it was alarming. I was out in front of Cracker Barrel and my mom had just loaded my boys into her car for a visit when I realized what I'd done. Of course, I screamed out in alarm, "Oh no!" That's when I noticed that there was, not one, but 2, count them, 2 busloads of Army guys (and gals) standing out in front of the restaurant. Being always ready to serve, at least 20 of them rushed right over to my aid. As they crawled around my car inspecting the situation, my mother handed me her cell phone and told me to call 911. So I did. And, you know, it certainly didn't add to the scene or anything when a gigantic, enormous fire truck pulled up and, like, 5 or 6 firemen jumped out and started crawling all around the car too. They are very prepared those firemen and with the help of a jimmying device and a hook thingy (very technical these terms) they had my car open in about 1 minute. The 2 busloads of soldiers, and a handful of other customers, all broke into enthusiastic applause when we confirmed that the baby was okay. That's not embarrassing or anything.

The baby, naturally, thought the whole thing was a hoot, especially since she had been locked in with a box of jelly beans that I would have totally taken away from her when I got into my seat, had I been able to get into my seat. She pretty much finished 'em off. So she was quite happy and gave all the firemen high-fives.

I really need to start keeping better track of my keys.

5 comments:

Kathleen Miller said...

A great post.

Just last week a painter didn't show up to work at our house.
He called later to say that he locked his keys in his car and had to call a locksmith. I wasn't having nice thoughts as I wanted the work to be done pronto. I was thinking how could he do that???? Well, I guess I was in great need of a lesson on humility for I locked my keys in the car the very next day and had to call a locksmith myself.

Have a great weekend!

Mandy said...

Praise the Lord that I am not the only one who has accidentally locked her child in the car! I locked Frick in the car at a festival (down south we have a festival for every fruit) and it WAS summertime!! Frick was about 9 months old and I was pregnant with Frack. I was hysterical (overcharged with hormones?). My friends flagged down the ONE cop who was in the itty bitty town. He helped calm me down and quickly got Frick out, who was just fine and laughing the entire time at his looney Mommy. I came very close to breaking a window in just to get to my baby.
In all seriousness, I have never felt more stupid in my life. I thank God everyday that he was OK.

Sarah - Kala said...

I can only say I find it funny. Sorry, but it kind of makes you all the more dern cute. :-) Glad it all ended well.

Unknown said...

My husband and I are both giggling over this...

I keep my keys on one of those clippy thingys (like mountain climbers use) so I can clip it to my loop on my pants when I'm not using them. My Dad used to tell my how low-class that looked, but my keys weren't in the car, so it must work!

Dawn said...

The fire department and the US Army?!!? That's fabulously great! Love this post. Don't feel too bad, I've locked myself out of the house with the babe still up in her crib sleepin'. Not a window to be found open.