Monday, November 10, 2008

We need to stay awake

I've been thinking about this for awhile. I haven't really been political on this blog, but I'm sure it's no surprise to you all that I did not vote for Obama. I'd like to think I'm not a single issue voter, but truthfully, his pro-death stance was enough for me to know I could not cast my vote that way. But another big reason for me are his very socialist views. Like many of you, I find them quite scary.

Now, I have only the most rudimentary understanding of Catholic Social Teaching, but I do know that socialism is unacceptable. It reduces man to being merely a cog in the wheel, which robs him of his innate human dignity. So, not only is it just a bad idea, that never works, but as Catholics we really cannot support it.

In the last few days I have received several random items in my Inbox, but they all add up to me as a warning that we need to be very vigilant in the next four years. There was a time when I was very into political activism. Not so much lately; but I think the time has come to get to know my representatives again, and to pay attention to legislature, both on the state and federal level. This country does have a lot of checks and balances in place to protect us, but only if we make sure that our elected officials are indeed protecting us.

Let me share with you a couple of things as food for thought:

“We cannot expect the Americans to jump from capitalism to Communism, but we can assist their elected leaders in giving Americans small doses of socialism until they suddenly awake to find they have Communism.”

- Soviet Leader Nikita Khrushchev, 1959



“The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism, but under the name of liberalism they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program until one day America will be a socialist nation without ever knowing how it happened.”

– Norman Thomas, American socialist



And last of all, an article from One News Now that sent shudders up my spine:


Young Obama supporters 'don't have a clue'
by Chad Groening

A best-selling author and investigative journalist says no one should be surprised that young Obama supporters would wave Soviet flags during election celebrations.

Dr. Jerome Corsi is the author of The Obama Nation: Leftist Politics and the Cult of Personality. He spent the campaign warning voters of the extreme left-wing policies of the man who will become the nation's 44th president. But he says apparently a substantial number of young voters remain clueless.

"I watched the people in Grant Park waving communist flags, having a dancing party [in celebration of Obama's victory]," Corsi notes. "These are kids who haven't lived through [economic troubles and] don't even remember Jimmy Carter. They don't have a clue about high gasoline prices or an economy where we're saying that we've got economic malaise."

The author says young people like those in Grant Park have been indoctrinated by the left-wing education establishment.

"They've been taught socialism; they've been taught communism," he says. "[Schools] don't teach the economics that say that the Soviet Union is out of business because it was bankrupt. They don't teach the politics that say that Stalin killed...35 or 50 million of his own people."


Waving Communist flags and dancing?? Stay awake, my friends, stay awake.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What a thought provoking post! We need to pray...

BTW-I gave you an award! Stop on by!

Lerin said...

?!? I had no idea that some of his followers were openly embracing the socialism/communism like that. I thought it was a lot sneakier... how strange that anyone would think that's the direction America should go.

This entry makes my head spin!!!

Andrea said...

I really need to work on learning and being more involved with what's going on myself. It's really been pushed in my face since I posted things about Obama. I've gotten a lot in my box as well and things have stood out to me. I haven't been visiting your site regularly..I see the FOCA on your site too. I sent you an e-mail about it - I didn't realize you knew. =) I should have though as you know things before me for the most part.

Sharon said...

Great post!
You know, I've been labeled a single-issue voter, and I think of it like this. Abortion is one issue, yes. However, for a person to support abortion tells me a lot about that character, and I truly believe that.
Babies are the most innocent of humans, and even more innocent are babies in the womb. If a person is willing to work so strongly on allowing abortion to be legal, what does that say about him/her?

It always seems to be that a pro-abortion candidate will also favor other things to minimize human life, degrade it, etc. It was the case with Obama, Clinton, John Kerry...

It's not a single issue-issue. To me, ONE issue can say so much about a person. Like it or not, that's the way it is.