Monday, September 22, 2008

Me and My First Baby Meme

Andrea tagged me for this fun meme. This ought to be interesting...


1. Were you married at the time? Not yet when he was conceived, but we were engaged! We were married by the time he was born.

2. What were your reactions when you found out you were pregnant? Complete and total shock.

3. How old were you? 28 (29 by the time he was born)

4. How did you find out you were pregnant? I went to the doctor because I thought I had an awful flu. I had always had irregular periods, it wasn't unusual for me to go a couple months without one, so when they asked about my LMP, and I said it had been a while, it still didn't seem likely to me even though they raised eyebrows. I thought it was ridiculous that they made me take a pregnancy test.

5. Who did you tell first? John. And then my mom. I was afraid to tell my mom. Even though I was 28 years old I was pretty sure she'd be upset that I had gotten pregnant before the wedding. Turns out she was actually very happy to hear the news that a grandchild was on the way.

6. Did you want to find out the sex? No.

7. Due date: December 14th, 1999

8. Did you deliver early or late? 11 days early.

9. Did you have morning sickness? No. I didn't understand what all that fuss was about. It wasn't until my 3rd pregnancy that I got to experience the joy of gaining that sympathy!

10. What did you crave? Mexican food. But I crave that all the time anyway. :-)

11. Who irritated you the most? I don't recall anything bothering me. My 1st pregnancy was really smooth sailing.

12. What was your first child's sex? Male.

13. How many pounds did you gain throughout the pregnancy? I only gained 15 pounds. I went from 120 to 135. Isn't that disgusting??? Don't ask me what I weigh now, but I haven't been a size 6 in a loooong time!!

14. Did you have any complications during your pregnancy? Not real ones. They thought that he wasn't growing enough, but it turns out he was just little. Still, I got to go through the agony of 7 sonograms and fetal monitoring every other day for the last few weeks of my pregnancy. They drove me crazy. I knew in my heart nothing was wrong.

15. Where did you give birth? Birthing center in Annapolis.

16. How many hours were you in labor? I think it was 5 total, but the funny thing is, I was so concerned with not being one of those people who go to the birthing center (or hospital) too soon, so I stayed home forever and then almost didn't make it. I practically had that baby in the car. He came 30 minutes after getting to the center.

17. Who drove you to the hospital? My husband John drove me to the birthing center.

18. Who watched? John, midwife Mari, and my awesome awesome doula Brenda! Brenda is like a family member now.

19. Was it vaginal or c-section? Vaginal. You can't do anything surgical or anything like that at the birthing center.

20. Did you take medicine to ease the pain? No, I didn't want to anyway, but you can't do that at the birthing center either. And, actually, there wouldn't have been time. Honestly, I am way more afraid of a needle in my back than I am of having a baby.

21. How much did your child weigh? 5 lbs. 10 oz. Did I mention he was little?

22. What did you name him/her? Jacob Thomas

23. How old is your first born today? 8 (he'll be 9 soon, I can't believe it!!!)

Tag five mommies:

Oh, I don't know. If you play along let me know!!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

You know... you learn a lot about people from these so called meme's. LOL!!!

Thanks for playing along.. I have really enjoyed reading these for some reason. I have baby on the brain. =)