Friday, April 24, 2009

End of a long week

This long long week has finally come to an end. It's been so stressful and exhausting, I am so glad it is over. I can't imagine what it is like for the family members who will not move on as quickly as I.

I have been so amazed and in awe of the family, both families, and how they have held up through all of this. So many people would easily succumb to the temptation for anger and/or despair. These people are living their faith exactly as Jesus tells us to, with love and forgiveness. The statement issued jointly by the 2 families is a perfect example:

"The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised" - Job 1:21

At this time of great sorrow, the Billotti and Wood families and friends choose to remember and celebrate the lives and love of the Chris and Francie Billotti-Wood family. Having been married for six years, Chris 34, and Francie, 33, shared many wonderful experiences, together with their three beautiful children - Chandler, 5, Gavin, 4, and Fiona, 2. After spending the first five years of their marriage living in Florida near the children's grandparents, Chris and Francie decided to move the family to Middletown, Maryland (Francie's hometown), a year ago. Since arriving in Frederick County, the Wood family has been active at Holy Family Catholic Community Church. They played and coached soccer, were active with T-Ball and together recently participated in a family marathon.


Chris and Francie shared a love for each other that was evident in their daily lives and interactions with others. Their devotion to their children was apparent to anyone even modestly acquainted with the family. Francie and Chris will always be remembered as beloved children, treasured siblings, and affectionate parents. While their time on this earth may seem too short from our finite perspective, family and friends continue to focus on the beautiful moments shared with the children, and with Chris and Francie. We will always remember the sound of their laughter. And we rejoice in the knowledge that we will see them again someday when our Heavenly Father calls each of us home to his side. The LORD gave and the LORD took away. Yet we praise the LORD for the gift of this family, and for the many ways that Chris, Francie, Chandler, Gavin and Fiona have touched our lives and the lives of others, changing us all for the better.

In these most difficult times, the Billotti and Wood families stand united, loving on and comforting one another as Christ Jesus directs. It is through the strength of family, the love of friends, and the support of our hometown communities, that we are able to boldly embrace the future, choosing to live each day without regrets. Your thoughts and prayers are appreciated. Despite the hardships of living in this world during these difficult times, our family's prayer for you is that you consciously choose to focus on what's true, noble, right, pure, lovely, and admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - we pray you may think about such things (Phil. 4:8) And cling to your family, honestly embracing one another in love, no matter the circumstances. God's ways are not our ways. Yet, there is a plan.

May the peace of God be with you and your family.

Even in their time of great sorrow these folks are thinking of us - the community, the world - and praying for us. I met Francie's sister, mother and father last night at the wake and they were so strong, I just couldn't believe it. Greeting mourners, directing folks as to where to go, who was in which casket, etc. I mean I was really floored. Her father had just discovered his daughter and her family murdered only 6 nights before and yet he was composed. The whole funeral was, as they said, a celebration of this family and their love.

Today, at the funeral Mass, Father Kevin spoke of the oneness of this family. He used the passage from Luke that says, "What God has joined together, let no one separate." Nothing, not even this unspeakable act can separate that this is a union sanctified by God and must be remembered and celebrated as such. I wish I could remember the entire Homily word for word, it was that good, but my powers of recall are pretty bad. I will say though, that it was deeply moving, and a real call to examine how well you follow your faith. These two families have set the bar high, and while t hey themselves might falter in the days and weeks ahead, they have shown us the course we must follow.

I don't know how people with no faith life at all can make it through a tragedy. To be honest, mine was shaken this week. I love and trust the Lord, but it is almost inevitable when faced with a horrible tragedy such as three children murdered, along with their parents, that you question things. I questioned God. But in the end I know that His will is always love and mercy and that God turns evil into goodness and this can already be seen in the coming together of this small town community. But how do people who don't believe in a higher power deal with such a thing? How awful to face a tragedy like this and think that it is just random and with no meaning, no healing power, no redeeming grace, no...nothing? I just don't know how they are comforted.

Today was a very difficult day. I hope I never ever have to attend an event like that again. But I am consoled by the message of love and mercy and forgiveness that Jesus has brought to the world.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Cassie-That family is in my prayers. as are you during this time.

Lerin said...

What a beautiful family, to respond this way to such a tragedy. I don't know how people without faith cope in times like these, either.

Jeannee said...

My very deepest sorrows and condolences - I have somewhat of an idea what it is like to lose someone so suddenly and so unexpectedly ...

The more secular press is saying that the father didn't like and couldn't adjust to life in small town Maryland. I'm not writing this as a pain arrow ; I'm just trying to make sense of why he would do this at all .....

Jeannee, sad in KY
edisonmyndiecoco@yahoo.com