I got on this kick recently where I decided I was going to use up everything in my pantry (or as much as possible) before I went out and bought more food. I got the idea when I realized that I would continually replenish the same 5-10 items while other things languished for months, possibly years, on the shelf without use. Why did I buy them if I wasn't going to use them? It also made me feel selfish that there are so many people in the world with no food and here I was hoarding stuff in my pantry and never using it. So I started on this plan. It's kind of difficult some days, especially as you get closer to the end of your meal possibilities. Like today. Take a look at this:

There must be something I can make from pancake mix, cheese soup, baked beans and jelly right? Ugh, I think it's time to go shopping! LOL!
Really though, does anyone else do this? I remember there used to be a show on one of the cable channels that had a chef that went to folks' houses and taught them how to make a gourmet meal from whatever was in their pantry/fridge right at that moment. Does anyone remember the name of that show? I wonder if he has a book....?
3 comments:
My pantry, which is smaller than a refrigerator, is a total mess. And yes, I have things that I bought years ago, thinking I would use them, and haven't. I finally started putting dates on some things, just to keep us safe, after a can of cherries expanded and leaked onto the shelf. I like having certain things on hand, but then I lose track of them. I don't like throwing away food but it's probably time to purge again. I hope this makes you feel better:-)
You could try donating to a local food bank.
Yes, thank you! I do that actually, we have a practice of buying for the food pantry every time we shop. But that is an awesome suggestion, glad you mentioned it!
Post a Comment