Sunday, August 22, 2010

Unplugged?

We are thinking about getting rid of our satellite TV. The idea is that we could watch the shows we like either via the Internet or by renting them through Netflix, which we are currently not subscribed too. I think I am the last person on earth to think of this idea. Or, at least, I know it's not original, but it would be a pretty major thing for us. We are not exactly TV addicts and we are pretty careful about what we watch, but still, we watch. I think my husband and children will be hit the hardest. My husband because he loves sports so much and my children because they do not remember a world before TiVo. And the fact that we only have 2 computers, which all the children share, so that would definitely hamper viewing time. I mean the monitor screen is only so big.

Obviously, the main thing here is the savings. It would cost us significantly less to pay for a Netflix subscription then what we pay for satellite TV in 3 rooms and TiVo on 2 of them. But the other appeal is the greater control it would give us over what the kids watch. They don't watch anything too terrible, but still I am not fond of iCarly or Big Time Rush. My children are probably going to end up having to pay for years of psychotherapy from my inconsistent parenting in the TV show department. I waver between not wanting them to see these shows that have teen content and not wanting them to be lame at school. So I do what I imagine is probably the worst possible thing a parent can do: I give them permission to watch these shows and then nag them constantly about how terrible their taste in TV viewing is and how inappropriate their shows are. Talk about mixed messages! "If it's so bad mom, why aren't you making us turn it off?" is what I am sure they are thinking. Does anyone else do this? I know that is so stupid of me and makes no sense at all, but I can't seem to stop it. Of course they could still watch iCarly on the Internet, but they will probably watch far less of it.

The other big TV issue lately is my 10 year old's new found love of wrestling. To be honest with you, I don't mind the violence at all. I mean guys wrestling, well, that's just some testosterone thing I assume. But what I hate about WWE is the ongoing theme of revenge against your "enemies" and the scantily clad women. My son totally gets that it is all staged and fake, but still, I hear things come out of his mouth now that I can't stand, such as, "you wanna piece a me?" said to his 6 year old brother. He's just imitating this obnoxious attitude right now, but I am waiting for it to crop up in real life so I have a reason to ban wrestling for a few weeks or so. My husband hates it too. But again, we are the most inconsistent parents ever, because my heart was literally torn in two 3 months ago when he came and asked if he could please watch wrestling because his little group of friends (who are a very very nice groups of boys) were all into it and he was starting to feel really left out because they would have conversations and then stop and look at him uncomfortably and change the subject because they all knew he wasn't allowed to watch it. I didn't want him to feel like the outcast. And I also wanted to reward him for coming to us and talking about it instead of just going and watching it at his friends' houses behind our back. So we said he could watch it. But it's just another thing that I nag him about.

Anyway, I am thinking that getting rid of the TV will help with some of this. Have any of you, my readers, done away with your cable or satellite television? I'd like to get some first hand advice if you have any. My husband thinks he read somewhere that you can actually hook the Internet up to your TV or something? I really have no idea, but if anyone out there can share their experience that would be awesome!

3 comments:

Dawn said...

This is a tough one. We have considered it as well, however the cost of canceling the satellite is making our decision for us right now.
That's lame I know. I know a friend who had done this. They have netflix and can watch movies via their Wii. Because it connects to the internet, you get a disk from Netflix and can stream the movies or something like that. We still have a year on our satellite contract. Ugh. But when it's up we will try it. My husband is even on board with it. iCarly is a big thing here as well. There are things I don't like about it, but I do prefer it to some of the other "cartoons" that are being shown. It also offers us a lot of topics to discuss as a family. I know this comment is long..I look forward to hearing how it goes with you.

CJ Sweet said...

You know, I didn't even think about the contract aspect. I will have to check that out and see if it is even possible. I am glad I am not the only mom letting the kids watch iCarly. I agree, it does bring up good talking points, but I feel that sometimes I am just nagging. Sometimes we have good discussions. There was a recent episode where Carly was in her boyfriend's bedroom kissing him and I made it perfectly clear that that will NEVER happen in our house. I am encouraging my children to keep their first kiss for their wedding day. I figure that way, if they feel they need to rebel against me, it will be something far more innocent then what could happen.

Mary N. said...

I've definitely considered this! My husband and daughter watch tv more than I do so it probably wouldn't go over too well. I can hear my husband saying, "Okay, I'll give up the tv if you give up the computer."
Fat chance of that happening;)