Today after Mass there was a Youth Ministry showcase. They served refreshments and had some displays set up showing some of the fun activities they have participated in, etc., trying to get kids to join up for the Fall. My kids aren't old enough for this group - it's a middle school through high school group - but we went back just to enjoy the refreshments. One thing they had displayed on the table was a T-shirt that they had made up for the kids last year. It had the name of our parish on the front with a small cross and then on the back it had this quote:
"Be the change you wish to see in the world" ~ Ghandi
What do you think of that? All of the wonderful saints the Catholic church has produced over the centuries -hundreds! maybe thousands! - and all of the many great things they have said, and we quote Ghandi. Seriously??? I mean, I know he was a great guy, he was wonderful, and had wonderful things to say and lived a very holy life, but let's face it; not only was he not Catholic, he wasn't even Christian!!!
So I pulled aside the Youth Ministry Coordinator to ask him about it. He kind of laughed and agreed it was crazy. He said they will probably change the shirts next year. But here's what happened: he gave the kids the assignment of finding a great quote for the shirts. The deadline was coming up and no one had even done any research. Finally it got to where they had to choose something and someone had a flyer from Catholic Relief Services and the Ghandi quote was in that. So they decided to use it. Now, obviously, my next question, of course, is what the heck is Catholic Relief Services using a Ghandi quote for when they have the zillions of great saints and saint sayings to quote from also???? What is going on with that?
So I think I am going to write CRS a letter. And I plan to send along some quotes from actual Catholic saints that they might want to consider using instead. I'll pass them along to the youth too. Anyone have any favorites they'd like to share? Or anything particularly appropriate if the message is about changing the world? I just can't get over it. All this rich history of wonderful Catholic teachers and theologians, mystics, martyrs...and they have to go and quote Ghandi. That is just unbelievable.
10 comments:
Not so unbelievable I'm afraid. We are not involved in the youth ministry at our parish. It has just started but I just didn't get a good feeling from the leader so decided to refrain. I'll be keeping an eye out though.
That is crazy...
The first person that jumps to mind with a ton of AWESOME quotes on love and service is Mother Teresa. A great quote for CRS would be, "If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one." from Mother Teresa
I agree. This is outrageous. Anyway, as much as I admire some of what Ghandi had to say, I think that particular quote is rather Obama-ish.
Oh, btw, the date we actually fly out of MD is 11 June. We are going to move into an hotel tomorrow night as the folks we're staying at will be here tomorrow. They'll want their peace and quiet. :)
Did you know that Gandhi was a Fremason. And as such we as Catholics have to stay as far away from Fremasons as possible.
Smiley, I had no idea. I will certainly pass that information along to the Youth Coordinator, but what the heck is CRS doing? Are they Catholic only in name now?
Hi
Here is a link to the Grand Lodge of India
http://www.masonindia.org/MInfo_59.htm
Note they say on one hand he is not a mason but then go to length to explain that he really was one of the
and here is the encylical on freemasonry
http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/leo_xiii/encyclicals/documents/hf_l-xiii_enc_18840420_humanum-genus_en.html
Cassie, Your post made me think...I will tell you that I admire your thought and your willingness to take a stand on the issues that you believe in. I will also inquire at CRS. Oh, and how about another from Blessed Mother Teresa...'Let every action of mine be something beautiful for God!' Yes, yes...there are many, aren't there? I am including prayers for you and your family my dear. Mary
Bravo to you!
And not so unbelievable...sad state of things I guess.
How about St. Francis DeSales?
"Do not try to be anything other than what you are...and try to be that perfectly"
I think that's a GREAT message for Catholic Youth, don't you?
Love your blog!
Hope you'll visit mine!
http://www.momoften.webs.com/
http://benmakesten.blogspot.com/
http://www.thebestofhomeschoolfaithandfamilylife.com/
Hi Cassie--a really good post. Hope things are good with you and the family. God bless!
Kay
Really, that is so annoying.
Our youth can do so much if they are challenged to love and defend the faith. I was reading recently that we Catholics have to stop punctuating our faith with question marks... who can give their life to a question mark? We need to express our faith with exclamation points!
Post a Comment