Sunday, February 8, 2009

At the clinic

I've started joining the Respect Life Committee at my parish to pray in front of the local abortion clinic - wait, I'm sorry, Women's Services clinic - again. We were out there this Saturday. This was my first time being out there on a day when they actually perform abortions. You might remember that the last time I was there we had been told they might have added that day as another day, but there was no way to be sure.

Well this time we were sure. Saturday is a busy day. And it a very different experience. I was standing with my little group praying the Rosary when suddenly the gentleman a few feet away with us started yelling "Ma'am please don't kill your baby! Come back and talk about it!" My head jerked up and I saw a young girl in a car with a person who might have been her mother, I don't know. We all stopped in our tracks. It took a few moments before we were composed enough to continue praying and even then I felt a catch in my throat.

I was only out there for an hour, but this little scene repeated itself 4 times in that hour. There was the girl with her boyfriend, the girl with her best friend, and some others I didn't look up in time to see. I was a wreck by the time I left. I got in my car and just started crying. I felt like I was standing in front of an executioner's office watching innocent people being lead off to be killed. I guess that really is what I was watching, but it was such a reality check.

So please keep praying. Contact your representatives and fight FOCA. In my parish this morning we handed out pre-printed post cards that folks had only to sign and fill out their addresses. We will pay the postage - although we asked for donations towards postage and had a really great response. It was a really easy way for people to reach out to their reps, and speak out against FOCA, without having to do the work themselves. Maybe you want to try something like that your church. Just please do whatever you can manage to do. And pray, pray, pray. Thanks.

8 comments:

Dawn said...

Cassie, my postcard is in! Great post.

Sarah - Kala said...

Ah, this breaks my heart. I guess seeing women go in and come back out and knowing . . . just tears at one's heart. Yes, we'll keep praying.

Lerin said...

Knowing that there are women who go in for abortions is a vague idea... seeing it yourself, I can't imagine.

Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.

Modern Catholic Mom said...

Good for you for going out and praying, it is very hard the first time you see someone go in and worse if you are there long enough to see them come out, a shell of a person. Prayer is a powerful witness and weapon keep up the good work.

Ellen

Kathleen Miller said...

Cassie,

May God Bless you for your fortitude and courage to witness to these women in great need. May God give you the necessary strength for the next time.

Gina said...

It's horrible isn't it Cassie, but you are so brave to do the right thing and pray for those mothers & their unborn children...you are an example for Christ.

I have done the same here in Australia (prayed outside the Abortion clinic), and cars (mostly men) drive past and yell, "Get a Life!" or "Leave them alone!"
Interesting.

The 1st time gutted me too, it just broke my heart.
I'll pray that the good Lord will give you courage the next time around.
God bless you.

Sharon said...

Hello, Cassie, God bless you! I prayed at an abortion clinic for the first time this fall. It may have been on a day that they didn't perform abortions because no one went in or came out while we were there. Still, as I looked at the small, converted home, it occurred to me that from the outside it looked like someone's house; but inside how many children have been put to death, and how many women have been harmed? It was a comfort to pray the Rosary with my friends there.

La Bibliotecaria Laura said...

We need to gird up our loins and keep fighting. I'm praying for you!