Update: I forgot to talk about all the Podcasts I download on my iPod and all the movies queued up in my Netflix queue. Sigh....
"O Catholic Church, true mother of Christians, you are right in preaching that God should be adored with an entirely chaste and pure heart. Indeed, to live in Him is the blessed life."
Thursday, May 19, 2011
Know It All
I think I have a serious problem. It's called Need-to-know-it-all-itis. Or something like that. I have this need to know everything, and I literally mean everything. I have to read everything, watch everything, talk about everything, know everybody.... I have books piled up all over the place, some half started, others waiting rather impatiently. I have magazines dog-eared and I've highlighted the articles that I still need to get to. Cookbooks line my shelves and recipe clippings are mounded up in two folders and several zip lock bags (I stopped having time to put them in folders much less cook them!). E-mails in my inbox are flagged and I have TV-shows backed up for weeks on my DVR - especially the documentary-type ones. I can't bring myself to erase those. I've joined every group I can find on Facebook - particularly if they are Catholic, pro-life, and/or political, and accepted nearly every friend request. I am constantly inviting people over for coffee just so we can "chat". I hang around the parking lot at school after dropping my kids off so I can catch up with the other moms. I belong to 2 book clubs, 3 committees at church (and I chair 2 of them), the Parent/Teacher Organization at school, 2 faith sharing groups, and I volunteer at the school every Monday. I don't do any of these things well and I can't keep up with half of it. Even if I didn't have 5 young kids, a husband, a cat and a house to take care of, I still wouldn't have time. But I LOVE it! I can't imagine what I would drop. I would feel like I was totally missing something. Even funnier is that I barely retain any of it. I constantly find myself in conversations where my contribution goes like this: "I read something about that. I think the guy said something like blah blah blah, wait, no, no, no, that was the guy on TV, the guy in the article said blah blah, but I don't remember if I saw that on Facebook or Fox news or News of the Weird." It's pathetic. I wish someone would just invent a way to download info straight to your brain so, like, you could just scan your finger over the book, screen, newspaper, and it would go directly into your brain and you would know it all. Anyone else have this problem or am I the only victim of this terrible disease? Maybe I should go look it up on WebMd....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
That is quite a serious problem:) I guess it is better than not wanting to know anything:)
Hello! We follow your blog and I (Jen) am a recent convert to the Catholic faith (grew up Lutheran and married as a Lutheran). We learn so much keeping up with your blog! I was hoping to send this you via email or comment box, but I couldn't find either on your blog. I wanted to share a resource for Catholic gifts with you that maybe you could share on the blog? It is BlessedSources.org I used this coupon for 20% off good for July: http://www.retailmenot.com/view/blessedsources.org
Thank you and keep up the good work!
God Bless,
Jen and Ralph
Guess what....you've just met your twin! I thought I was reading an autobiography!! I think our lives would be boring if we weren't like this!
Post a Comment